Friday, October 30, 2009

The Well Behaved Child by John Rosemond

This book by John Rosemond both confirmed some of my original ideas with child disclipine – and totally threw others out the window. Whilst it was not quite what I was expecting,the book did concrete some ideas which could be implemented. I don’t think it is for every family and there seemed to be a bit of a condescending attitude towards children diagnosed with ADHD/etc. Whilst my child is none of these he still does not seem to fit into any of the definitions or suggestions in this book. I also found the tone a little condescending and patronizing towards anyone who has a child that is not perfectly behaved.

This book could definitely work in many homes and I was envisioning a little “angel” upon completing it. However I did not find easy reading and I disagreed with much of his reasoning. Some of the approaches I would like to try, but in the extremes he suggests as to me that it tantamount to shaming a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment