Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dress-up Day



I'm a mom who loves these days as much (if not more!) than any child. To be able to throw in a whole lot of ideas, make a child feel like a king, or a pirate - (or a cat burglar!) for the day ... what a pleasure. It helps them feel special, stimulates the imagination and just generally is an opportunity for FUN!



Mitchell had been looking forward to one last term, but it was changed to "sunglasses" day - and was bitterly disappointed. I consoled him by saying that at least now we had made the outfit so it was all ready for the next chance we could get. Now, by saying "made" - I certainly don't mean that I sat my bottom down by a sewing machine and crafted some delightful creation. Nope, I bought a headband, some false hair extension type stuff - and sat down and began to braid the hair, putting feathers and acrylic type wool into it. Then I looked in the toy chest and the wardrobe to see what we had that we could use.


The jeans were hand-me-downs from CB (one of his heroes who had outgrown them) - had been stitched and repaired so many times they could not be stitched anymore --- so I made cutoffs (which is fashion statement anyway). The hook, earring, cutlass, hat - was donated by a kind friend's mom. The bandanna was another kind friend's mom. Eye patch and ring - from a party favour for a pirate party he attended last year (dressed as a pirate of course!) Cummerbund - left over from SIL's first wedding 12 years ago. So I had a blast, looking through this stuff, dancing and weaving around like Molly in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium after she finds her "sparkle".

When we discovered that there was dress up at the holiday care(SA schools on holiday!) , there was great anticipation and celebration in the land.

I drew on his face, dressed him up and delivered him to Holiday Care - wrapped in a Spiderman blanket as there was no way to put a jacket or jersey on him, thanks to the newspaper-filled parrot puppet I had pinned to his shoulder.

Went to fetch him later and was excitedly told that he had won first prize - an Ola Moo ice cream. In our house it is never, ever too cold for ice cream!

Only question is - where is MY ice-cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment